Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Dissing Her Majesty


One of the things I would like to pride myself on is the observance of my children and their spouses' special events. In particular, every year I look forward to celebrating Queen Victoria Day by sending my Canadian daughter-in-law a card wishing her the happiest of days.
That would be in a perfect world. Unfortunately, this has not been the case for several years. I could make excuses (I was busy rewriting my syllabi and touring Europe and lost track of time; it's hard to remember the Queen's Day in a country whose calendars do not make note of it; I couldn't find a suitable card). The bottom line is that I could easily be considered a negligent mom-in-law, a Queen Victoria Day Grinch, a pathetic excuse for a self-proclaimed holiday junkie. Imagine my chagrin!
All I can say is, I'm sorry, Bessie, but I was busy rewriting my syllabi and touring Europe and lost track of time, it's hard to remember the Queen's Day in a country whose calendars do not make note of it, and I couldn't find a suitable card. Next year for sure!
Note: "Syllabi" is not in this blog's spell check but "Grinch" is.

1 comment:

Bess said...

Forgiven....for this year only!