Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sunday, London

We have visited London before. That was when Jared was about 16 and David was about 14--or maybe they were both older or younger. Anyway, Steven and I had both done London's tourist spots before and had a general idea of what we wanted to see, where we wanted to go, and how we should get there.

As before, we stayed in the Bayswater area. But this time we stayed in a reasonable hotel instead of the Julius Caesar. All of those who went on the first London trip can appreciate my last comment. Although a very small room, our current lodging was clean and modern. Equally important, it was just down the block from a Subway Sandwich Shop. This is good because we could get a filling and nutritious meal without having to hock the house.

Prices in London are absolutely astronomical. Steven, who loves to look at real estate prices on vacation, found a 466 sq. ft. apartment with an advertised price of 399,000 pounds sterling, or $800,000. Two Subway sandwiches cost 10-12 pounds or $20 to $25. Steven took one load of laundry to a do-it-yourself laundromat and it cost $12.

But again, I digress. We went to the British Museum. Here I apologize, but a story follows: The other time we went abroad, the boys and Steven and I went to the Louvre together. While purchasing tickets, I informed the attendant that we wished to see the Rosetta Stone, some Impressionistic Art, and the painting "the birth of Venus." The Frenchman did a half-hearted job of stifling his contempt as he informed me that "the Birth of Venus" may be seen in the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence, the Rosetta Stone is kept in the British Museum, and "We don't show Impressionistic Art here." (Try sneering while saying the last part out loud. I would think that it takes some practice to pull it off as smoothly as the man by whom I was being talked-down-to.)



This time, being better informed, we HAD to do the British Museum. And here is a picture of Steven in front of the Rosetta Stone just to show the world that Steve and Leslie Bauer did indeed see the thing.

We also walked through Hyde Park. While there, we identified two new innovations.



One is a children's play area dedicated to Princess Dianna.
The other is a fountain dedicated to her memory. As you can see, the fountain is circular and has some rapids in it. Put your own meaning into it. I found it intriguing.
To be continued.

No comments: