Thursday, September 27, 2007

What I Have Been Up To



I have a wonderful little life, full of flowers, music, children that are doing creative things with their lives, and loving friends.

All my guys called me on my birthday to wish me the best. It was most satisfactory. Then I got a mystery call from a group of women who harmonized on "the Happy Birthday Song." I have no idea who they are. They all claimed that they loved me at the end, but none of them referred to me as "Sr. Bauer." The one lady I figured HAD to be the ringleader, convinced me that she had no knowledge of said songsters.



A week later, I took this snapshot of the Stake fiesta. Mucho Mexican food was served by our own Spanish-speaking Branch. We had a Mexican vocalist serenading us during dinner and several folk dance groups to entertain us after dinner. This group, imported from L.A., did authentic Aztec dances. They stole the show.



These are the flowers Steven sent me for our anniversary. For those of you who were not there, our wedding colors were powder blue and yellow and my bouquet was made up of carnations. Please be advised that there are 37 carnations in the bouquet. That's because the flowers were commemorating our 37th wedding anniversary. Steve does "thoughtful" well.









I am taking a wood shop class. This is the headboard I am making for the bed in my apartment. I drew up the plans, picked out the wood, rough cut it, joindered it, cut it to length, watched as the teacher cut troughs in it, and then I assembled it.




Then I watched again as the teacher (pictured here in the ball cap) cut the panels for the insets. Once again I assembled the pieces, then disassembled it and sanded the insets. When it was time to glue it together, the teacher let me pick out the clamps all by myself. Then I watched as he and three other big, strong guys had all the fun gluing and clamping. However, I got to wipe up any glue drips that I found annoying.

Last Saturday I went to the Jubilee Celebration of the completion of the L.A. Temple. Our stake was given permission by the First Presidency to assemble in one of the rooms reserved for Solemn Assemblies. It was an interesting experience because, as a little girl, I remember my grandmother going to L.A. from Sacramento to do temple work.
The speakers told about the temple's construction and completion. The L.A. Temple was the largest of all the temples until the Salt Lake Temple added the annex. Then the temple president hastened to inform us all that temples are not in competition with each other.


This is a good picture of the James Christianson print I wanted to buy for our Cody livingroom. It is entitled, "The Iron Rod." Unfortunately, they ran out about the same time I received the magazine and thought to get a copy. Thought provoking, isn't it?
Right now I am doing a remarkably boring bit of research on Psychology Degree Programs offered at other California Community Colleges. Cerritos College and Allan Hancock College have tied for the "Most Difficult Wedsite to Navigate" award. The "San Diego Centers for Education and Technology" has the longest name of all the community colleges in California. I will keep you posted on other wonders as they occur to me.

Right now I must hurry off to my shop class.



















No comments: